Name of Division (Date of creation of Division): Halal Standardization Division (June 24, 2016)
In-charge of Division: Yasmin Khanam (Assistant Director)
Brief History of Division:
Halal standards development activities have been started since 1996 under Agriculture and Food Division of PSQCA with a limited range but when the scope of Halal standardization extended as well as unified platform of Islamic countries came up as OIC/SMIIC organization for Halal standardization the work load increased then the competent authority via Notification No.5(23)/PSQCA/HG/2013(224) dated June 24 2016 established Halal Standardization Division as distinct division to work on several other dimensions of standardization with Halal food sector like Halal pharmaceuticals, traditional & alternatives medicines for health, Halal cosmetics & personal care products, Halal leather products, Halal tourism & hospitality services as well as other services & processes at Standards Development Centre of PSQCA.
Halal Division has established several standards so far because capturing Halal market is not possible without establishing Pakistan standards that are aimed to help both producers and supervising organizations (i.e. Halal certification bodies, accreditation body) to ensure traceability of Halal throughout the product/process chain to facilitate cross-border trade to gain confidence of the Muslims around the globe.
SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES HALAL DIVISION
To initiate, develop and promote standards on Halal as a means of advancing the national economy, promoting industrial efficiency and development, protecting the consumers (specifically Muslims), facilitating domestic trade, import export and furthering international/regional co-operation and co- ordination in relation to standards and conformity assessment to ensure the integrity of Halal. Being National standards body of Pakistan PSQCA is the “Participatory (P)” member of OIC/SMIIC that embraces about 57 Muslim states under one umbrella.
- National Standards committee on Halal was formulated for the activities relating to articles, products and processes, as deemed necessary.
- Halal Division shall establish, adopt/ adapt the National Standards to cater the national needs and to fulfill the requirements of regional and international trade.
- Deals with all kinds of technical matters / queries in the area of Halal.
- Efforts made to reduce the barriers to trade complying to WTO TBT policies.
- Participation in formulation of OIC/SMIIC draft standards on Halal.
- Conducting awareness/training sessions.
NSC’s Name: National Standards Committee on Halal
Scope of work: To endorse the activities of technical committees i.e., standards formulation, adoption and adaptation, to recommend technical regulations, to provide guideline to technical committees, to appoint Chairpersons of Technical committees and its members etc.
Chairperson of NSC: Dr. Jawed Aziz Awan
Vice-Chairperson: Mufti Yusuf Abdul Razzak
Secretariat: Yasmin Khanam (Assistant Director)
Approved Standards at National Standing Committee (NSC) level: 18
- Pakistan Standard -Fundamentals and Vocabulary for Halal (PS: 3733 Part 1-2019)
- Pakistan Standard-General Requirements for Halal Food Chain (PS:3733-2019 Part 2(4th Revision)
- Pakistan Standard- General Requirements for Slaughtering of Halal Animals (PS:3733-2019 Part 3)
- Pakistan Standard – General Requirements for Slaughtering of Halal Poultry/Birds (PS: 3733-2019 Part 4)
- Pakistan Standard – General Requirements for Halal Pharmaceuticals and Health Care Products(PS:5442-2021)
- Pakistan Standard – Conformity Assessment Requirements for Bodies Providing Halal Certification (PS: 4992-2016)
- Pakistan Standard – General Requirements for the Accreditation Body Accrediting Halal Certification Bodies (PS: 5241-2013)
- Pakistan Standard -General Guidelines for Halal Cosmetics and Personal Care Products (PS: 5319-2014)
- Pakistan Standard -Guidelines for the exchange of information between countries on rejections of imported food (PS: 5400-2017)
- Pakistan Standard -Principles for food import and export inspection and certification (PS: 5401-2017)
- Pakistan Standard -Guidelines for Settling Disputes Over Analytical (Test) Results (PS: 5420-2018)
- Pakistan Standard-Traceability in the Product Chain-General Principles and Basic Requirements for System Design and Implementation (PS:5547-2021)
- Pakistan standard-Halal Quality Management System – Requirements(PS:5546-2021)
- Pakistan standard for Halal Tourism services-General Requirements (PS:5545-2021)
- Pakistan Standard – General Requirements for Food Additives and Other Added Chemicals to Halal Food
- Pakistan Standard on Halal Supply Chain Management System – Part 1 Transportation General Requirements
- Pakistan Standard – Halal Supply Chain Management System – Part 2 Warehousing – General Requirements
- Pakistan Standard-Halal Supply Chain Management System – Part 3 Retailing- General Requirements
Draft Standards under consideration at National Standing Committee (NSC) level: 03 Standards
Future Work Plans:
- Draft Pakistan Standard-Conformity Assessment – Example of a Certification Scheme for Halal Products ( in pipe line)
- Draft Pakistan Standard Conformity Assessment – General Requirements of Proficiency Testing for Halal Purposes ( in pipe line)
- Draft Pakistan standard-Principles for the use of sampling and testing in international Halal food trade.
- Draft Pakistan Standard-Basic requirements for Halal Meat supplier at small shops.
- Draft Pakistan Standard- Basic requirements for Halal Poultry meat supplier at small shops.
- Draft Pakistan Standard- Labeling of Halal Prepackaged foods.
- Guidelines for the design and implementation of national Halal regulatory system.
- Draft Pakistan standard safety assurance program associated with the use of veterinary drugs in food producing animals.
- Draft Pakistan standard principles and guidelines for national food control systems.
- Model Import and Export Certificate for Halal meat and meat Products.
Technical Committee (TC) under National Standing Committee (NSC-H): 12
- TC1 for Halal Foods
- TC2 for Conformity Assessment Standards on Halal
- TC3 for Halal pharmaceuticals, traditional & alternatives medicines for health
- TC4 for Halal Cosmetics and Personal care products
- TC5 for Muslim friendly Tourism and related services
- TC6 for Halal supply chain and services site issues
- TC7 for Halal Additives
- TC8 Halal Management system
- TC9 on Packaging & Contact materials for Halal
- TC10 on Animal Welfare and Feed
- TC11 on Fundamentals and vocabulary for Halal
- TC12 for Editing & Urdu translation
NOTE 1: Above committees also act as Mirror Committees for working of OIC/SMIIC draft standards and other relevant documents.
NOTE 2: Other TCs may also be established as and when required.