Having realized the importance and development of Metrology, Standards, Testing and Quality (MSTQ) infrastructure that provide an essential building block for industrial development in the country, the Government of Pakistan has established the Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority (PSQCA) by Act-VI of 1996 to provide one window services for Standardization and Conformity Assessment.
The main function of the Authority is to foster and promote standards and conformity assessment as a means of advancing the national economy, promoting industrial efficiency and development, ensuring the health and safety of the public, protecting the consumers. Facilitating domestic and international trade and furthering international co-operation relation to Standards and conformity assessment in the interest of consumers.
- Framing, publishing, amending, revising or withdrawal of the Pakistan Standards in relation to any article, product, process;
- Certification of mandatory articles products and process under Certification Marks Scheme of PSQCA Pakistan Standards;
- Stop manufacturer, storage and sale of such products which do not conform to the Pakistan Standards;
- Inspection and testing of products for their quality specification and characteristics for manufacturing and import / export purpose;
- Registration of inspection agencies;
- Coordination and cooperation with other national, regional and international organizations in the areas of standard development, technical regulations, conformity assessment procedure, information exchange and technical assistance;
- Facilitate the trade through National Enquiry Point (NEP) to minimize or remove Technical Barriers to Trade (WTO) and to provide opportunity to the trade operators to raise their voice on the TR; and
- Provide Services on Metallurgy to the industries.