The Government of Pakistan established PSQCA in 1996 with the following mandate:
- Systematic development of standards relating to products & processes in consultation with stake holders.
- Establish procedure to conformity assessment compliant with national & international standards
- Develop standardization & improve analytical methods for state-of-art technology.
- Assist manufacturing and services sector to obtain quality,system,system and environment certification under ISO-9000 & ISO-14000.
- Focal point for national, regional and international organizations & institutions such as ISO, IEC, Codex Alimentarius and WTO.
- National Enquiry Point (NEP) for WTO Agreement on Technical Barrier to Trade(TBT).
- Introduce measures through standardization regarding consumer safety and health.
- Promote quality culture and enhance awareness about sustainable development through print and electronic media.